Saturday 5 November 2016

NaNoWriMo 2016 - Taking Part


I've decided to take part in NaNoWriMo 2016 to give myself a deadline for Beautiful Faces, a novella and prequel to Broken Faces. This novella will introduce readers to the characters whose lives I've written about in Broken Faces and what happened to them from November 1914 - November 1918. 

I wanted to write the novella because I loved the idea of revisiting two of my main characters, Lexi and the man she loves, Freddie. Freddie only sees her as his friend's younger sister, and the story runs from early June 1914 to just before the start of the Great War, where Broken Faces continues their story and NaNoWrimo seemed like the perfect way to get me to finish that first difficult draft.

I've taken part in NaNo several times before and actually finished writing the 50,000 words in the time frame given three times. I think the first time I completed NaNo was when I finished the first draft of Broken Faces, the second time was when I wrote my one and only YA novel - that's still sitting in a laptop somewhere - and the third time was to help me finish the second book in my Jersey Scene series, A Jersey Affair. NaNo is great fun, you have writing buddies whose word count you can see each day and that and the stat graphs are a great incentive to help you keep going each day.

That said, I'm sitting here writing this when I've only actually done 435 words out of my required 1,667 today... So, I'd better get going and get on with it, otherwise Beautiful Faces certainly won't be ready for my January publication date.

No comments:

Post a Comment